“There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” ― Frank Serafini
Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. from Texas State University M.Ed in Curriculum & Instruction, Literacy Studies from the University of Texas at Arlington Certifications: Reading Specialist Master Reading Teacher 4-8 Generalist
Mrs. Melynda Jones
Hello! Welcome to 8th Grade Honors Language Arts!
I've been on the ELA team here at Schultz, since 2011. I am especially excited to be teaching 8th grade this year as we will be exploring a variety of literature genre as well as stretching out our writing wings throughout the year. I am a firm believer in the power of student choices in both reading and writing. Approximately 70% of the reading we will do in our class and for homework will be self-selected text; the other 30% being teacher-assigned text. Many of our writing assignments will be student-chosen also. One of my main educational goals is to help each student find their "one" book--the book that turns them on to the joys of reading that will last them a lifetime. Our students are the beneficiaries of a Donor's Choose project that provided a generous set of Flying Lessons and other Stories from the We Need Diverse Books Foundation.
In addition to teaching 8th grade, I also serve as the NJHS co-sponsor and the ELA Department Chair.
About me: I've lived in Waller for 17 years with my husband, a '91 Waller graduate, and our two kids. Macy is a junior at WHS and Caleb is a fifth grader at Jones Elementary. I have numerous hobbies including reading, gardening, sewing, blogging about my chickens and singing on our church worship team.